Over the years, medical spas or also known as medi-spa or medspa—sort of a hybrid between a medical clinic and a traditional spa—has grown in popularity among men and women. Medspa is a spa-like facility offering elective, often appearance-enhancement procedures under the care and supervision of a licensed and skilled physician and a team of aestheticians and nurses. These procedures vary in nature, depending on the needs of the patient, but almost all of them have the same objective—to pamper or rejuvenate the patient.
Treatments Offered at a Medspa
Services will vary depending on the spa you visit or your needs, but generally, you will receive treatments such as:
- Laser hair removal
- Botox injections and facial fillers
- Customized foot treatments and medical pedicures
- Spider vein and varicose treatment
- Tattoo and permanent makeup removal
- Chemical peels, facials, and microdermabrasion
All of the treatments will address concerns regarding anti-aging, skin problems, hair removal, and more. Just like in any traditional spa facilities, luxurious treatments like salt glows, massages, and seaweed wraps can also be offered at a medspa.
Are There Doctors or Physicians at a Medspa?
When you look for a medspa, the first thing you need to check is whether there is a physician or medical doctor on-site. Licensed aestheticians, registered nurses, physicians, and their assistants are the ones who would normally perform every service offered at the medspa. Generally, a physician manages the medspa but does not need to be on-site all the time. Physician’s assistants and nurses can be excellent providers for cosmetic medical procedures, but most of them have no extensive training or knowledge in facial aesthetics or treatment of severe and rare complications.
Medspas are not like hospitals or medical clinics that are regulated by the Department of Health. Certain U.S. states lack strict regulations for medspa, which is a huge safety concern for most. There have been speculations about the risks of medspas not directly supervised or overseen by a licensed physician. That said, look for a medspa that has a doctor who personally discusses your specific concern, assesses your medical history, and recommends treatment plans that will help you achieve your cosmetic goals.
What to Look For in a Medspa
Treatments at a medspa cater to your body and aesthetic needs, so it is only important that you look for a reputable one. A good medspa should be able to do the following:
- Disclose any and all kinds of risks involved in the desired procedure
- List all credentials and licensure status of each staff who provides the treatment, with links or organizations where the board certification and licensure can be verified
- Have a contingency plan for any emergencies that may occur
- A thorough inspection of the medspa to ensure a safe and sterile environment
- Commit to offering excellent quality service available and only purchase and use equipment and medicines from reputable and authorized medical retailers and wholesalers. Ideally, all medicines and treatments should be FDA-approved
Choosing the right kind of medspa is important to ensure safe and guaranteed results. After all, it is about you and your body, and you deserve only the best. Nuluk Aesthetics offers a myriad of services and treatments to suit your wellness, beauty, and health needs.
If you’re looking for a medspa in North Bergen NJ, get in touch with us to see how we can help.